Posted on Wednesday, May 23rd, 2012 at 3:56 pm
A medical malpractice lawsuit is currently on trial after a woman claims that she went into the hospital for a heart surgery and wound up with an infection that eventually made her blind.
The ordeal began in 2005 when the woman went into the hospital for a surgery on her coronary artery and just five days later she was receiving treatment for an unrelated knee injury and became completely blind as a result.
Two days after arriving at the hospital, doctors found the infection in her knee that was previously surgically replaced. Doctors then removed the knee prosthesis and placed her on multiple different pills including a narcotic for the pain, antibiotics, and drugs for high blood pressure and stress.
A diuretic was later thrown into the cocktail of drugs and this caused the vital organs to block the blood flow. They later found the woman suffered renal failure and she was unresponsive. She now permanently blind in both eyes and the couple is suing because of the improper treatment.
Posted on Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 at 8:28 pm
A report was just published in the New York Times that stated that the nearly one out of every seven medical mistakes that happen to Medicare patients are not reported.
According to officials with the Department of Health and Human Services, many of the hospital employees that did report the medical errors still failed to change policy in order to prevent the issue from happening again.
Although a system is put into place in order to report medical errors, many hospital employees fail to report mistakes made that cause harm to Medicare patients. Some of these medical students even included death.
Other events included bedsores, deliriousness from too many painkillers, using blood thinners improperly, and infections acquired at the hospital. The report also shows that many administrators were aware that the staff was not reporting errors.
If you or loved one has been the victim of a medical mistake that has caused you serious injury, contact the Scranton improper treatment lawyers of Lowenthal & Abrams, P.C. by calling 6110-667-7511 today.
Posted on Tuesday, November 22nd, 2011 at 8:36 pm
A medical malpractice lawsuit has been filed against a New Orleans hospital after a patient claims that he went into septic shock while in their care.
The suit was filed on November 9 regarding a procedure that occurred in January 2007. The man went in for a colorectal anastomosis and a left hemicolectomy and the day after surgery an x-ray was ordered on the man’s abdomen because his blood count was elevated.
The radiologist then recommended a CT scan but it was never performed. Then, on Feb. 2, the man went into septic shock and was taken into intensive care. The man then lost fingers, toes and part of his leg as a result. A jury trial for the case has been requested.
If you or a loved one has been the victim of medical malpractice, contact the Scranton improper treatment lawyers of Lowenthal & Abrams, P.C., by calling today.
Posted on Thursday, July 21st, 2011 at 1:27 pm
A family has been awarded $34 million in a medical malpractice case after woman was improperly treated and suffered brain damage as a consequence of this failure in care.
The incident occurred in 2004 when the woman went to a hospital in Port Jervis, N.Y. in order to receive treatment for low sodium. When patients suffer from low sodium, or hyponatremia, their sodium levels should be elevated slowly, with no more than 10 to 12 units in a 24 hour period.
However, this woman’s sodium level was raised 27 units in only 14 hours. She was left with brain damage and her capacities for speech and physical movement were both severely impaired as a result. The family was awarded $34 million, and most of the money will go toward around the clock care for the woman.
If you or your loved one has been harmed due to the administration of improper treatment, the Scranton medical malpractice lawyers of Lowenthal & Abrams, P.C., may be able to help. Contact us at to learn more.
Posted on Tuesday, May 17th, 2011 at 9:27 pm
A doctor that was accused of medical malpractice for reusing needles that are used in urological procedures has now had he license reinstated.
Although his license has been reinstated, the man will still be watched closely by the State Board of Examiners. A third party will have to monitor that the proper infection procedures are used and that medical procedures that the man does are done properly.
This monitoring system will be in place for 90 days and unannounced site inspections will be done to make sure the correct procedures are followed.
If you or a loved one was injured after having negligent medical care, you need experienced representation on your side. Contact the Scranton improper treatment lawyers of Lowenthal & Abrams, P.C., by calling .
Posted on Tuesday, April 12th, 2011 at 4:20 pm
A jury in Burbank, California has a awarded a family $4.5 million in a medical malpractice lawsuit after the death of her 51-year-old husband.
According to the local news source, the lawsuit is brought against a physician after he misdiagnosed the man’s condition. The man went into the doctor’s office complaining of chest pain and he was given a stress test. He died after the test was given. The family was awarded for pain and suffering, economic damages and general damages.
If you or a loved one has been the victim of medical negligence, contact the Scranton improper treatment lawyers of Lowenthal & Abrams, P.C., by calling today.
Posted on Monday, January 31st, 2011 at 4:57 pm
In 2002, the Pennsylvania Legislature created an organization called the Patient Safety Authority(PSA) that would help to alleviate patient injury by eliminating medical errors by recognizing pr0blems and finding the solutions to them.
After this law passed hospitals in Pennsylvania are supposed to notify the family of patients when a serious event occurs. The most recent report said that 8,270 serious events and 218,400 incidents were reported to the PSA in 2009. Unfortunately, the number of serious events has not decreased since hospitals began to report them.
If you or a loved one has been injured after an error by a health care professional, contact the Scranton improper treatment lawyers of Lowenthal & Abrmas, P.C., by calling today.